Saturday 12 September 2009

"NOTES ON MY CONNECTION WITH ARTHUR C. CLARKE" JEFF PHILLIPS

NOTE FROM JEFF: In this article I explain my connection with Arthur C. Clarke and how it all stemmed from the dolphins. In this piece I describe my "Cetacean/Arecibo Project", which involved doing live musical dialogues with whales from boats and beaming it into space in real time using a radio-telescope. Bob Arnold, then head PR person for the NASA's SETI Institute, made the initial connection...read more.

http://synthaissance.blogspot.com/2008/06/notes-on-my-connection-with-arthur-c.html

"People sometimes ask me how I “knew” Arthur C. Clarke when they see his name listed on my card as owning one of my hand-painted rocks. Here’s the story…

It all goes back to the dolphins. Around the time I quit college in 1978 and enrolled in a much larger “uni”…the “uni-verse”…I began to receive what has been a life-long “calling” to reach out to, communicate with, protect, and understand our friends the dolphins and whales.

This “calling” originally came to me through the work and writings of Dr. John C. Lilly, a brilliant and controversial “renaissance mind” of science whose background in neurobiology led him to the dolphins. I moved to California in 1980 to get involved with his dolphin communication work; my main angle was in the use of music as a form of communication.

What interested me most in Lilly’s thinking was that the cetaceans are a true “extra-terrestrial” intelligence (literally, “away from land”) who not only live on the same planet we do, but have done so for millions of years longer than us, in the ocean, without hands or external technology, with brains that are more highly evolved than ours. Lilly said basically that there was no way we could possibly hope to communicate with or understand true ‘alien’ beings from another planet or galaxy if we couldn’t even communicate with or understand highly intelligent beings from the same planet as ourselves..."

SEE LINK FOR THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

No comments:

Post a Comment